Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Graduation

Tomorrow night, my youngest son, Keith, will graduate from High School.

Hoboy.

I'm starting to feel just a little old. Not decrepit or anything, but just old. I remember my graduation. I went to a large all female Catholic school in Chicago. Our class was so big, we held our ceromony at Chicago's Arie Crown Theatre.

Keith's will be in the "new" gym at the school. Folding chairs, the high school band doing the Star Spangled banner and Pomp and Circumstance, a favorite teacher giving the commencment speech. Some of the same teachers that were there when my husband graduated in 1981 will be there - still teaching the same subjects - just one (and sometimes two) generations later. Some will retire this year - but will probably substitute teach next year. Some will be there for Keith's kids (if they stay in the same small town). Continuity is great, but it can bring a feeling of stagnation. Greg, my husband, can recognize some kids because they look just like their parents did 25 years ago. I've only lived here for 11 years. The boys have been here full time since Keith was in 4th grade and Joe was in 7th grade. Joe graduated 3 years ago - in the "old" gym. Keith was in the band that played. The same teachers were there. The same folding chairs now threaten my older, fatter butt.

I look at them and see people where once I saw children. They are making decisions that I do not always know about in advance and sometimes I don't agree with. But they are not my decisions any more. When did that happen? I'm not really worried about the "empty nest". I'm more worried that I've lost my slave housekeepers. Chores as punishment is a great way to get out of doing the dishes and vacuuming. Oh well, hopefully less mess will be worth it.

They'll visit. Keith will go away to college next January so he'll be home til then. Joe visits when he remembers. He's always been a little absent minded so I have to remind him on occassion. He's staying nearby and will continue college locally.

I've tried to train them right. They know how to do laundry and can cook enough so that they won't starve or live on fast food. They are fairly responsible and mature. So why do I feel like my job shouldn't be done yet? My only answer: They are SO young. They have SO MUCH yet to learn. I know that most of it will come with experience. I just hope I gave them the wherewithall to do a good job.

Good Lord, I feel a little old.

No comments: