Thursday, November 20, 2008

In My Humble Opinion




Everyone has one (or sixty!) and everyone has one different than yours or mine. So, when in the course of blogging, you express your opinion either in agreement or disagreement to someone else's you hope that there is mutual respect. And hopefully you are willing to allow dissent and try to learn, be moved, or allow yourself to see the other side - not necessarily agree with it, but just see it for what it is - someone's opinion.

I've decided that I would like to tell you a little about my opinions. This is, after all, my blog, my space to express myself. I can refer to this post if someone wants to know more about me and how I think. You may not agree with me - in fact, I'm pretty sure that many people do not. Does this mean that my opinions are not valid? No. Just means that we disagree on one point or another. Doesn't mean we can't be friends. So here goes.


1. I am anti-abortion. I do not believe that in this day of really effective birth control that any innocent child need die because its parents are stupid or lazy (for those who scream about rape, incest and health of the mother – only .1% of abortions are done for these reasons).

2. I am pro-capital punishment. But more than that, I believe that the convicted murderer should be killed in the same manner that he murdered his victim. If a murderer ever uses lethal injection to kill someone then fine, that's what we'll use. But if he uses a gun, a knife, a car, his bare hands - then that is how he goes out. In this day of sophisticated forensics - there should be evidence of guilt - but if there are more than one witness to the crime, that is enough - forget the multiple appeals - waste of time and money.

3. All pedophiles that rape children should be castrated. Period. If they kill them, then they should be castrated first, and then killed in like manner.

4. I am a religious person. I will say Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, God bless you, and God bless America. I will not defend my right to practice my religion and I will not infringe on your right to practice yours. If you are not religious at all, that is also your choice and I will not infringe on your rights. DO NOT belittle my choices, my intelligence, or my values.

5. I am conservative. (duh) That does not mean that I am a non-thinking little sheep. I do my reading; I keep up on the current politics and do not rely on the media to tell me how to think. In fact I tend to disregard most of the MSM as a bunch of talking heads more interested in celebrities than news. If you start quoting someone else's opinion, I'm going to expect that you should be able to express your own - with reasons for your position - not "because!”

6. If you have children and you do not discipline them, you must be held accountable for their actions. If your child is out of control, in public, then you should remove the child. If you do not, then you should not be pissed when someone asks you to leave. I do not pay $50 for a nice meal in a nice restaurant to listen to your child scream that he wants chicken nuggets. Get a sitter. I spanked my boys. My father beat my ass. Guess what? Not only did we survive, we and my boys thrived. They are upstanding, nice young men who don't drink to excess, don't do drugs, don't smoke and get great grades in college. So, I'm pretty sure that their lack of 'time-outs' didn't affect them - but the spankings did.

7. My biggest pet peeve: People who are late. This is disrespectful and rude.

8. I do not believe that people can not improve themselves. Anyone can attend community college (I did), anyone can get a high school diploma/GED, and there are grants, scholarships, student loans - available to damn near everyone - if you do the paperwork. Laziness should not be rewarded with a check from the state. Get off your ass and get a job or the education necessary. No whining! I did it.


9. If you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you must have $1 million in trust to pay for your veggie life in the nursing home. And sign the damn organ donor card!

10. YOU are responsible for your own health!!!!!! If you smoke, drink to excess, don't wear a seatbelt, don't get your self to a doctor once in awhile - then don't bitch when you have your stroke, heart attack, cancer diagnosis, etc.... And don't give your nurses a hard time when they try to take care of your sorry butt. Most of the time, your condition is your own fault and very rarely is it unavoidable.

Okay, I better stop there. But you get the idea. I'm opinionated, reasonably intelligent, and very proud of my family.

The bulls-eye is on my chest - give me your best shot - and your opinions about my opinions - and we'll all get to know each other better and hopefully be better for it!

No comments: