Monday, July 13, 2009

Things That Make You Say, "Huh??"

When did it become acceptable to just walk in front of a moving car in a parking lot?

When did it become acceptable to bitch and yell in order to get your way? When did rudeness become OK?

When did it become acceptable to 'fib' or 'fudge a little' or outright fabricate a lie for any ole reason?

When did keeping the incorrect change become 'their problem'?

When did ignoring a person's feelings become OK?

When did it become acceptable to DEMAND 'rights' that weren't earned?

When did lack of personal responsibility and accountability become acceptable because someone is 'disadvantaged'?

Who the hell decided the definition for 'disadvantaged'?

Why do we need so many warnings and labels and signs to 'keep us safe'? Didn't your parents teach you ANYTHING?

When did the 'public's right to know' become more important than personal privacy - regardless of a job?

When did it become 'fair' to base any decision - for or against - on skin color?

Every once in a while, I hear things on TV, deal with people at work, or even just while out and about, that make me say, 'HUH?'. I was raised when children were seen and not heard, spanking was discipline, grounding meant doing extra chores every waking moment, and 'chores' were done in order to 'earn' an allowance. As a teen, I was expected (even though I'm female) to give up my seat on the bus to an older person, to help people and be polite. I waited for traffic, not the other way around. I worked hard for my salary - I didn't wait for the government to take care of me.

Some days, I wonder if I lived on a different planet...

In my humble opinion, I firmly believe that the worst thing to happen to the raising of children was Dr. Spock. I also believe that the worst thing to happen to personal responsibility/accountability was the first lawsuit won for someone doing something stupid (i.e., the woman that sued McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on herself and won).

You may not agree with me. You may agree. Unfortunately, the world has changed - and not for the better. I just felt the urge to wish for better.


No comments: