Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Millionaires Need To Strike???

I came across this article. The SAG - the union for actors - has been without a contract since June. SAG is considering a strike. They have asked their membership to vote for an authorization to strike.

Now, the article gives the names of many actors who are against a vote to authorize a strike, but also lists many who are for it.

My main burning question is this: Where do people who make more money for one job than I will make in my entire life get off threatening a strike?

If you read my posts, you know that I'm not exactly a fan of unions. For the most part I think they are only in business to make more money for themselves and tend to 'protect' workers who can't get a job anywhere else. But in this case, the mind boggles!

How much money can these people need? They want a cut of every dollar made on projects that just happen to have their face, voice or mental input attached to them. Fine. How about every time I perform CPR, give a life saving drug, change a wound dressing - in other words, every time I take care of any human being, I get a cut of their livelihood? That would be nice. Figure, I've been doing nursing for nearly 20 years - averaging about $45K (sometimes more, sometimes less) a year. If I conservatively see around 10 patients a day, around 4 days a week, about 50 weeks a year - well, that's around 2000 patients a year (a really modest number), that comes to about $22.50 per patient - before taxes! And I'm considered well paid! If I asked for a cut of every dollar my patients made, they'd lock me up as a mental case.

If they strike, not only do the consumers suffer, but all the other people involved in the movie industry: the guys and gals that make even less than I do, who don't get a cut of the future earnings of the project. How do they feed their kids? Pay their mortgages? Do these millionaires even care? If they do, I don't see the evidence of it.

It's nice that they believe a strike vote 'now', during the current economic crisis, isn't the time to be putting people out of work.

Really? And just when IS it a good time?

No comments: