Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Oh, the Paperwork!

Last night I was contacted by a Travel Agency for nurses. Essentially, what this means is there are nursing positions open that are not filled locally so an agency contracts nurses from outside the area to fill the positions. Most contracts are 4, 8 or 12 weeks. Some are longer. Most require that you have so many years experience in one or more fields and they try to place you within your specialties.

For me, Endoscopy and Research are the most recent. I'm also an experienced ER and CCU nurse. I've been at this since 1990. Nearly 20 years on my fourth career! When I got out of high school, I didn't have a clue. I worked as an insurance claims adjuster/examiner, a beautician and got my EMT certification. I went to college years later - for many reasons. I graduated in 1991 with one year of nursing experience as an Extern under my belt and I've been at it ever since.

One thing I have learned: There is no end to the paperwork! Forms to complete, resume's to update, federal forms, state forms, background checks, vaccinations, and so on...

But in the end, it should be worth it. I have an opportunity to work in Endoscopy in Lafayette, IN. It's a 12 week contract, 40 hours a week, great pay, travel reimbursement and even a bonus. I should be able to get home every weekend and maybe even have Greg come down there to see me. Being apart from Greg will be the hardest part. The only reason I'd even consider it is to work. Who knows? Maybe this will be a perfect fit for me.

So, if you get a chance, say a prayer that I'll know this is right, good for me and my family, and that I don't get horribly home sick.

Ciao

1 comment:

Moliticon said...

Wow! What a resume! Things must be tough in Michigan. It's a place I thought I might enjoy. Others: Minnesota, Vermont. I guess that means I don't mind winter. I do mind unemployment - good luck to you from your pharmacist follower.